Roof, gutters and downspouts
- Have your roof inspected for loose or missing shingles; repair and replace.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Clean the chimney and have it checked for strength.
- Have any skylights inspected, sealed and repaired.
Windows, Doors and Garage Doors
- Check that caulking and weather-stripping is in good repair.
- Ensure all hardware such locks and handles work well.
- Replace cracked panes.
- Replace rotted wood framing or ledges.
- Repaint frames and ledges for protection.
- Repair or repaint doors.
- Repair and clean screens.
- Wash windows – enjoy the clean view!
- Fix, maintain or replace garage door or sections, tracks, spring or rollers.
- Clean and maintain the garage door opener.
- Schedule a handyman to come over for help!
Porch, patio, decking and walkways
- Clean your porch, patio stones, walkway and deck of stains from grease, rust, food and dirt.
- Re-lay patio stones that may have shifted during winter; use fresh screening to block weeds.
- Repair wooden decking and steps to ensure wood is strong and screws and brackets are tight.
- Re-stain wood to make it waterproof.
- Check porch columns to ensure they are strong.
- Fill cracks and patch crumbled areas.
- Reseal for protection.
- Clean lighting and replace cracked or damaged fixtures.
Faucets and Electrical Outlets
- Fix leaky faucets.
- Check that outdoor outlets are working and protected with covers.
Walls and Foundation
- Fill cracks, holes and areas where dirt and grass have sunk around your foundation.
- Look for shifting or loose bricks and stones; repair or replace.
- Repair or replace broken, loose siding or damaged stucco.
- Repaint all exterior features that need protecting.
- Clean your air conditioner; clear away debris; check that hookups are sound.
- Inspect your barbecue for rust or decay and that pipes and valves are secure.
While this checklist applies to house maintenance, summer is also a great time to clean up your lawn, gardens and landscaping. And if you have a shed or storage containers such as for garbage cans, check them for strength and durability too.